The Department of Clinical Mental Health Counseling is housed in the School of Health Sciences. We offer two unique programs of study online.

  • Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MS-CMHC) 60-credit Master of Science degree

  • Addiction Counseling (MS-AC) 60-credit Master of Science degree

Apply Now

The master’s degree programs in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and Addiction Counseling are offered online with a three-week residency requirement. Students are required to spend one week on campus during semester one, two and four of the programs. 

Emory & Henry prepares clinical mental health and addiction counselors for a rewarding profession that emphasizes the prevention of emotional and mental health concerns, early intervention when problems are identified, and client empowerment.

Professional counselors have adopted a developmental wellness model in which the counselor’s role is to assist the client in moving toward optimal mental health. Professional counselors view human emotional challenges as normal to existence and developmental in nature.

Graduates of our master’s degree program will be employed as professional counselors in a variety of settings including community mental health agencies, substance abuse treatment programs, schools, colleges, universities, rehabilitation agencies, hospitals, residential treatment programs, employee assistance programs, and social service agencies. 

Panel Discussion on Addiction in Southwest, Virginia co-hosted by the Department of Clinical Mental Health Counseling and School of Nursing, Lincoln Theater, September 20, 2023

Request Information

  • All fields marked with asterisk (*) are required.

    required text field
    required text field
    required e-mail address field
    required text field
    required radio button field
    Which program are you interested in?*

This program is designed to prepare students to sit for applicable licensure or certification in Virginia. If you plan to pursue licensure or certification in a state other than Virginia, please review state educational requirements for licensure or certification and contact your advisor to discuss those requirements.