Getting Here

Arrival, Visas, & Finances

Orientation and Term Dates

The orientation and welcome program takes place the week before classes begin. You can arrive up to 2 days before the start of orientation. If you would like someone from Emory & Henry to pick you up at the airport, please email with your flight information.  The closest airport is Tri-Cities (TRI) in Blountville, TN. This airport is about 40 minutes away from campus. If you are arriving at a different airport, please let us know.

More information including maps and directions.

Please use the academic calendar to determine semester term dates and holidays. Please note that on some holidays, such as winter break, students cannot live on campus. 

Obtaining the F-1 Visa

To study at Emory & Henry College, non-U.S. citizens must obtain an F-1 visa from the U.S. Department of State. Once you are accepted for admission at E&H (SEVP-certified school), the Admissions Office will mail you the Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Status” and an official acceptance letter. The Form I-20 is a paper record of your information in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and is required for completing subsequent steps in the international student life cycle. You will need this paperwork when you apply for a student visa. You will need to make an appointment at the closest U.S. embassy.

Please see the below links for more detailed instructions on how to apply for a US F-1 visa.  Before you can apply for an F-1 visa, you must pay the I-901 SEVIS fee online.

Study in the States
U.S. Department of State Student Visa Information

Video Tutorial: Applying for the F-1 Visa at E&H

Check your Form I-20 against your passport information to confirm that your name and date of birth are correct. If the information on your Form I-20 does not match the information on your passport, contact the designated school official (DSO) who sent you the Form I-20, ask them to correct the information and send you an updated form.

You and your dependents may enter the United States up to 30 days before your official program start date recorded in SEVIS, as it is listed on your Form I-20.

Make sure you hand-carry and present all required documents to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer when you arrive at a U.S. port of entry. Do not put them in a checked bag. It is a good idea to make at least two copies of all your travel and immigration documents—one copy to leave with your family before you depart your home country and one copy to give to your school officials in the United States. After arriving in the United States, make sure to keep the originals of all documentation in a safe, secure location.


The Student Exchange & Visitor Information System (SEVIS) requires that all colleges and universities have evidence that students can pay for their tuition and living expenses for one year while they study in the United States.  The embassy that you visit to obtain your study visa will require this information as well.  This evidence can include a bank statement, retirement account statement, or a document from your sponsor’s place of employment that he or she has the monthly or yearly income to pay for your expenses while at E&H. 

Emory & Henry College partners with PaytoStudy to provide international students a method for making enrollment deposits and tuition payments effectively and efficiently. Students using PaytoStudy to pay their deposits and tuition payments save money on all international wire transfers and are guaranteed better currency exchange rates than those available directly through banks or credit cards. This new program guarantees that your deposits or tuition payments will be received by Emory & Henry College within 48hrs. Both Emory & Henry College and the student will receive an email notification as soon as your payment has been received. Access PaytoStudy and follow the instructions.

If you wish to make monthly payments for your room and board while on campus, our Billing Office can make arrangements for this through the AES payment program.  It does require that you have a bank account in the U.S., which you can open upon your arrival on campus.  You must also have an Emory & Henry College student ID number to enroll in the program, which will be provided to you by our Admissions Office.

Exchange Students

Students who are participating in a partner exchange pay only Housing and Meals while at E&H. You can make similar payment arrangements as described above. Please contact us to see the International Exchange Guidelines and Study Plan for more information about your application.