Life at Emory & Henry College

Daily Living

Campus Housing & Dining

International students live on campus and can choose from the Prillaman International House with other students from the U.S. and other countries, as well as a variety of other residence options. The E&H campus features 20 residence halls with co-ed and single-gender accommodations. Residence halls feature resident advisors to assist students as they acclimating to their new surroundings. Housing and other fees can be found here. 

Students must purchase a meal plan while living on campus.  Information on the E&H dining experience can be found here and you can read more about meal plans options and costs.


Weather in Virginia is variable, allowing visitors to enjoy the changes, and sometimes challenges, of four seasons: Summer (July-August), Fall (September – November), Winter (December – March), and Spring (April – June). Temperatures may range from 98° F (37° C) in mid-summer to 25° F (-3° C) in mid-winter. Most of the time the weather is temperate and enjoyable. Located in Virginia’s interior at an elevation of 2,124 feet, Emory’s summers are not nearly as humid as they can be closer to the coast. The mountains also serve as a natural barrier against severe winter storms, keeping the winter season mild, while still offering a fairly good guarantee that residents will have a white Christmas. Dressing in layers is a good way to make the transition between seasons comfortably.

Staying Safe

Generally, Emory is a very safe town. However, please use common sense both on and off campus. Be more aware when traveling to the larger cities. If you observe suspicious activity or are a victim of a crime while on campus, please report it to Campus Security (276.944.6222). If you are off campus, report it to local authorities and notify the Residential Life Office. Dial 911 in case of an emergency. Please carry identification with you at all times.

*A note about crossing the street: Always use crosswalks and please remember to look in both directions before crossing the street. Americans drive on the right! Beware – only about 50% of cars stop for crosswalks.*


Emory & Henry recognizes the right of students 21-years of age or older to consume alcoholic beverages in accordance with state law. Emory & Henry supports responsible drinking for those of legal age who wish to consume alcohol while balancing that right against the need to provide a safe and welcoming campus environment free from abusive and disruptive behavior that often accompanies excessive drinking or intoxication. Accordingly, Emory & Henry will follow state law prohibitions on campus with respect to (1) public intoxication; (2) public display or public consumption of alcohol outside of residence hall rooms, except at special events approved by the Dean of Students; (3) driving while impaired or under the influence; and (4) giving, supplying or furnishing alcohol to students under the age of 21. The use of illegal drugs is prohibited on campus in accordance with state law. Students who violate policy or state law are subject to disciplinary action and/or arrest and guests who violate policy or state law are subject to removal from campus and/or arrest.


Many students walk or bike on campus and around town. International students usually find that having a car is not necessary as Emory is a small town. If you find yourself in need of a trip into town, you will find that many students are willing to coordinate a carpool. There is also a regular shuttle for shopping. Please contact Student Life for more information.


If you plan on driving in the U.S. and do not have a US driver’s license, you must have an international driver’s license or license recognized by the state of Virginia. You may legally drive in the U.S. for a period of up to six months if you have both an International Driver’s license and your valid home country license. You may also apply and take driving and written tests to obtain a Virginia driver’s license if you wish. All drivers are required by law to have insurance. Please see the Office of International Education when you arrive for more details on how to obtain a license and information on drivers education programs.

Banking in Emory

To open an account, you must show some sort of identification. Your passport, E&H ID, or an International Student ID are all acceptable forms of identification. Be aware that there are a variety of checking and savings accounts in the USA. Please be sure to speak to a bank representative to find the best account(s) for you. The Office of International Education can assist you in the process of opening a bank account if needed.

Bence Bays will help you to open a local bank account. Contact

 *If you plan on using your home bank credit card, inform them that you will be using this card in the United States. Some banks put a block on international usage of cards unless the cardholder has informed the bank that they will be in an international setting.*

Telephone and Internet Services

Local telephone calls are free of charge on campus. You will have wifi internet access on campus and will receive an E&H email account upon arrival. If you have difficulties accessing the internet on your computer or phone, please contact the help desk at 276.944.6881 or The help desk office is located on the ground floor of Kelly Library.

Many students purchase cell phones upon arrival. This can be expensive so shop around for the best plans and pricing. If your family and friends have computer access, Skype is a free communication service that many students use.

Electrical Systems in the US

The electrical system in the United States uses 110 volts, 60 hertz (cycles). If you are planning to bring small appliances (like a hair dryer) from home, you will probably need a transformer and plug adapter. We advise you to buy things like hair dryers, etc. when you get here; they are reasonably priced and more practical than using an adapter.

Basic Weights and Measures in the US

1 inch = 2.5 centimeters        12 inches = 1 foot             1 foot = 30 centimeters
3 feet = 1 yard                          1 yard = 0.9 meters         1 mile = 1.6 kilometers
1 ounce (oz) = 28 grams         16 ounces = 1 pound      1 pound = 0.45 kilograms

  • Gasoline is sold in gallons.
  • Most beverages are sold in 12 oz, 16 oz, 1/2 gallon, and 1-gallon increments.
  • Coins are in increments of 1 cent (penny), 5 cents (nickel), 10 cents (dime), 25 cents (quarter), and 50 cents (fifty-cent piece).

Health Care

In addition to campus health services, there is a well-respected regional hospital. There are also many allopathic doctors and specialists in the region, as well as an array of alternative practitioners such as naturopaths, homeopaths, and acupuncturists.

Living with Roommates

Living with someone, especially if that person is from a different culture, can be a great experience. You may, however, find yourself having difficulty adjusting. If you feel you are having a problem with your roommate, please follow these steps:

  • Talk to your roommate
  • Talk to your Resident Advisor
  • Talk to your Area Coordinator
  • If, after following the steps above, the issues between you and your roommate remain unresolved, talk with someone in the Office of Student Life.

Sexual Harassment

Sexual Harassment is a crime in the United States. It includes any behavior that intimidates someone in a sexual manner, including unwanted touching, verbal insinuations, and sexual acts.

Ideas about what constitutes sexual harassment may be different in Virginia than in other places where you have lived. International and exchange students have been accused of sexual harassment, with intense consequences. If you have questions regarding sexual harassment, please talk with the PRC staff. More information on policies and procedures can be found in the E&H Student Handbook. 

Learn More About Abingdon, Bristol, & the Local Area

Things to do in Abingdon:

An overview of the town of Abingdon:

Tourism guide for the state of Virginia:

Discover Bristol

Johnson City, TN Visit Guide