ehc.edu
Dr. Theresa-Burris

Strengthening Our Commitment

Dr. Theresa Burriss, previously at Radford University for more than 25 years, now serves as Emory & Henry College’s assistant vice president of community engagement and economic development.

Posted December 15, 2023

Supervising the planning of a Center for Community and Economic Development, she enhances the College’s role in regional economic advancement. Leading initiatives, including nurturing partnerships for businesses and mountain communities, she utilizes higher education resources.

Formerly directing the Appalachian Studies Program at Radford, Burriss supports the Emory & Henry Appalachian Center for Civic Life. She also serves on multiple boards, including the Virginia Council for Environmental Justice, emphasizing her dedication to regional development.

Burriss’s new role includes leading the Emory & Henry Women’s Center, supporting initiatives that uplift women in Central Appalachia. President John W. Wells sees this appointment as reinforcing Emory & Henry’s commitment to Southwest Virginia’s economic future, aiming to further contribute positively to regional progress.

Related Content

  • L to R: Stafford Stephenson '69, President John W. Wells, Dana Boyd '85, Dr. Taylor Lyne re-'88, Aaron Brand Sr. '98, Reid Ebert Jr. '94 and

    2023 Sports Hall of Fame

    The Emory & Henry College Department of Athletics inducted the 2023 Sports Hall of Fame class on Saturday, November 4. Five individuals were awarded the College’s highest athletic honor. In addition, a Certificate of Appreciation was presented by the Sports Hall of Fame.

    Read More
  • Carriger Hall Ribbon-Cutting

    Open for Business: Carriger Hall Ribbon-Cutting

    During the Homecoming 2023 festivities, more than 100 donors and friends gathered in the J. D. and Loraine Nicewonder lobby in the newly renovated Carriger Hall to celebrate its reopening as the new home of Emory & Henry’s School of Business. The grand old building, with original construction dating back to 1908, stands tall in the middle of the College’s beautiful campus and is the site of many warm memories for alumni.

    Read More